Margaret Thatcher: Britain's Ronald Reagan and a Conservative heroine!
Margaret Thatcher was the first woman to lead a major political party in the UK, and she was re-elected as Prime Minister 3 times in a row! She was the daughter of a grocer and was able to attend Oxford by sheer ability and hard-work. By her talent and tenacity she rose to the highest position in British government showing it was possible to come from lower-class means and achieve the highest aspirations even in Britain's strictly class-based society.
She was outstanding! Here are some Thatcherite economics to prove it!
- She believed economic freedom is the foundation of all freedom. Socialist promise the "road to freedom" but delivere instead the "high road to servitude".
- She believed market forces should be left to themselves meaning businessmen using their energy and ingenuity to meet the needs of customers create prosperity.
- She believed in equality opportunity but not equal result: redistribution of wealth ruins incentives and makes the economy not work; equality of reward rewards the lazy as much as the industrious
- She believed businessmen are the philanthropists of society, creating employment, paying wages, and endowing charities. When markets are allowed to work properly they benefit all classes, even the poor.
- She believed that state intervention destroys freedom and efficiency through taking power from the consumer.
- She believed trade unions were undemocratic and she was determined to confront and defeat them.
- She believed state welfare to be expensive, morally weakening in that it eroded the self-reliance she so prized, and in addition monopolistic, denying choice as well as being less efficient than private provision.
- Her defense of national interests was founded in a passionate patriotism which sustained her support for the armed forces and the alliance with the USA.